Maulden School was opened in June 1880, although schools had been present in Maulden since at least 1622.
The school was initially used for the junior pupils with the infants attending the adjacent old school (behind our foundation class) until the two merged in 1930.
The 1880 education act made it compulsory for children to attend school from 5-10years of age with an option to leave providing the 'Standard IV Examination' had been passed, otherwise, schooling continued to 14 years of age.
Mr William Oclee was the first headteacher, he moved across from the infant school.
Headteachers of Maulden School:
1880 to 1898
1899 to 1903
1903 to 1919
1919 to 1937
1937 to 1941
1941 to 1954
1954 to 1967
1967 to 1984
1984 to 2006
2006 to 2010
2010 to 2016
2016 to 2016
2017 to present
The school badge
This was introduced in 1969, is intended to reflect the position of the School in the community
The design includes:
- a chevron to represent a hill and a cross to represent a church (in Saxon times Maulden meant Church on a hill)
- a crescent moon, traditionally the device of the second son, shows that the present school is the second one on the site
- a beehive which symbolises industry and community service.
The motto, freely translated means, ‘Towards a better life.’
General News Feed
- What parental controls can do and how to set them
- How to set up new devices safely,
Latest Diary Dates Events
There are currently no events.