Your new design will be uploaded in:
...
Please contact Delivery Team on
0113 3200 750 if you have any queries.
X

Our History


Maulden  School was opened in June 1880, although schools had been present in Maulden since at least 1622.

The school was initially used for the junior pupils with the infants attending the adjacent old school (behind our foundation class) until the two merged in 1930.

The 1880 education act made it compulsory for children to attend school from 5-10years of age with an option to leave providing the 'Standard IV Examination' had been passed, otherwise schooling continued to 14 years of age.

Mr William Oclee was the first headteacher, he moved across from the infant school.

 

Headteachers of Maulden School:

William Oclee                   1880 to 1898

Fletcher Woodhead        1899 to 1903     

Joseph Eatell                    1903 to 1919

Arthur Moore                   1919 to 1937

Harry Newis                      1937 to 1941  

Ernest Park                       1941 to 1954

Arnold Davenhall            1954 to 1967   

Kenneth Briggs                1967 to 1984

Mike Jarvis                        1984 to 2006

Veronica Gerig                  2006 to 2010

Val Wang                            2010 to 2016

Craig Wilson                      2016 to 2016

Kathy Dwyer                     2017 to present

 

 

The school badge

This was introduced in 1969, is intended to reflect the position of the School in the community. The design includes a chevron to represent a hill and a cross to represent a church (in Saxon times Maulden meant Church on a hill); the crescent moon, traditionally the device of the second son, shows that the present school is the second one on the site; the beehive symbolises industry and community service. The motto, freely translated means, ‘Towards a better life.’